Keeping your Paxinos home comfortable can eat up a lot of money. The average family spends about $172 on monthly energy bills, according to ENERGY STAR®, or about $2,060 yearly. At least half of that goes to heating and cooling.
Most houses rely on programmable thermostats, but the majority of people don’t take the trouble to set them. The process is bothersome, detailed and only gives you a few options for temperature changes. When your home stays at an unchanging temperature throughout the day, it consumes energy and negatively affects your monthly bill.
Smart thermostats pick up on your routine and change the temp to match it. But can using one really save you money on heating and cooling? Yes, and here’s why.
Studies Show Smart Thermostats Save on Heating and Cooling Expenses
Independent studies have determined these devices can result in major savings.
These studies included home heating and cooling bills in 41 states before and after adding a Nest smart thermostat. Nest said the study showed its thermostats can save up to 12% on heating and 15% on cooling, producing an estimated savings of $131 to $145 annually.
With the common smart thermostat costing between $100–$250, those savings can help it pay for itself. And most local energy companies have rebates for smart thermostats because they’re ENERGY STAR® certified.
How Does a Smart Thermostat Work?
After your smart thermostat is ready to go, you’ll first set it just like your old thermostat. You’ll switch it up and down, so the thermostat can learn about your wants. Then, it will begin developing a program that helps you spend less money, whether you’re at your residence or away. Since it geofences with your smartphone, you won’t have to remember to adjust it when you exit or get back.
Pros and Cons of Getting a Smart Thermostat
As we talked about before, smart thermostats offer a lot of advantages to your house and heating and cooling bill, like:
- No need to set—Your smart thermostat will learn your schedule, so you won’t need to spend time using programs or remember to turn it up or down.
- Knows when you get home and leave—Because a lot of smart thermostats geofence with your phone, your home will be put into an energy-efficient setting when you take off and be cozy when you return.
- Remote temperature management—You’ll be able to watch your home’s settings from just about any location, because of an app on your phone.
- Watch heating and cooling use—The majority of smart thermostats offer valuable data through their app, such as how long you required heating and cooling on a particular day.
- Reminders—Certain smart thermostats will alert you to critical maintenance tasks, like when you’re due to get a new air filter.
- Added savings—Most local energy companies offer rebates for smart thermostats, so call with yours for more information.
However, there’s several things you should take into account regarding getting a smart thermostat in your home:
- Compatibility—Based on the type and age of your heating and cooling system, a smart thermostat might not work. If you’re not sure, it’s recommended to contact an HVAC pro like LTS Plumbing & Heating Inc.. We also suggest having it professionally installed. This ensures that you have the correct number of wires and that it’s linked properly. Some systems don’t come with a common wire, which leads to compatibility troubles with a smart thermostat. This wire powers your thermostat, so if your residence doesn’t have a C-wire, we can add one.
- Housing situation—If you own your home and want to be there for a long time, it’s a good investment to install a smart thermostat. If you plan to move in the next year or rent, we suggest waiting unless you will take the thermostat with you. If you rent, you’ll usually need to secure your landlord’s permission first ahead of adding a new thermostat.
- Cost—Smart thermostats are more expensive than programmable thermostats, and we advise having yours professionally installed. However, the energy savings over time can help pay for itself.
- Lifestyle—Does a family member work from home, or is someone regularly at the house? If so, you might not see as big of savings, but you’ll get the benefits of not being required to program or adjust a thermostat.
Rely on LTS Plumbing & Heating Inc. for Your Smart Thermostat Needs
At LTS Plumbing & Heating Inc., our top priority is to keep your residence comfortable while helping you conserve more heating and cooling expenses. If you’re thinking about installing a smart thermostat, our specialists can help, from selecting the right model to expert installation. Give us a call at 570-648-0748 today to learn more.