As the temp goes up, so does your energy expenses. To keep your AC costs controlled you may be thinking, is it cheaper to leave your AC on all day in the summer in Paxinos?
It’s a widespread belief that turning your AC unit on and off throughout the day is inefficient. This is actually false.
Keeping your AC on constantly means you’re not using it very efficiently. We advise adjusting your thermostat higher when you’re out, and lowering it when you come home. You can accomplish this with a programmable thermostat. Or, a smart thermostat will do everything for you.
It’s considerably more work for your system to keep the same temperature for many hours. It can also cause a lot of strain on your equipment, since it’s frequently turning on and off.
So, on top of it increasing your utility bills, it might also cause a shortened life expectancy for your air conditioner.
In any case, the larger the difference between your house’s temperature and the outside temperature, the greater your air conditioning bills will be. So, what can you do to stay cool and keep your utility bills lower in the summer? Here are our ideas based on recommendations from the U.S Department of Energy (DOE) and ENERGY STAR®.
6 Approaches to Increase Your Air Conditioner’s Energy Efficiency
- Change Your Thermostat Usage. The DOE affirms that you can conserve up to 10% per year on heating and cooling by increasing your thermostat 7-10 degrees while you’re out of the house. In the hotter months, it’s recommended to position your thermostat at 78 degrees while you’re home and 88 degrees when you’re out. It’s equally as important to forgo setting your thermostat to a colder setting than usual when you turn on your AC unit. This doesn’t actually cool off your residence any sooner, it just causes bigger energy costs. While these temperatures might appear toasty, there are additional approaches to keep cool without having to always run the air conditioner.
- Take Advantage of Fans, Curtains and Blinds. ENERGY STAR says dialing up the thermostat by just 2 degrees and using your ceiling fan can lessen AC by up to 14% over the course of the warm months. It’s important to keep in mind that fans cool people, not spaces. So, when you head out of the room, turn the fan off to be energy efficient. Furthermore, keeping blinds lowered and curtains closed throughout the day helps keep chilled air inside. There are also some window treatments intended to deliver added insulation and increase energy efficiency.
- Effectively Seal All Doors, Windows and Openings. Leaky cracks all around a residence enable conditioned air to quickly escape and warm air to get within. This may result in your AC having to work harder to keep your residence comfortable and your AC costs to rise. Make sure that any gaps, doors and windows are properly sealed. Caulking or weather-stripping are easy solutions for leaks or drafts around windows and doors.
- Arrange Annual Maintenance. Scheduling air conditioner maintenance assures that your equipment is always performing at its best. This lets our experts to locate simple issues before they become significant problems. A clean air conditioner is typically more efficient and might even live longer.
- Upgrade to a Smart Thermostat. One of the best approaches to ensure comfort and energy savings is with a smart thermostat. This thermostat intuitively alters the temperature based on your day-to-day schedule. It works with your smartphone to see when you’re at your house or out to enhance your energy savings. In fact, ENERGY STAR mentions that a smart thermostat could actually save you about $180 annually on energy costs.
- Consider Replacing Your Air Conditioning Unit. You can expect an adequately maintained AC to last for 15-20 years. But if you’re often calling us for air conditioning repair or your AC costs are skyrocketing with no altering in thermostat settings, it could be time for a replacement. We offer numerous energy-efficient air conditioners, such as ENERGY STAR models that can help you save more on cooling without negotiating comfort.
Enhance Your Residence’s Energy Efficiency with LTS Plumbing & Heating Inc.
No one wants to see their energy bill climb during the summer. If you’re seeking more ways to keep your energy usage and bills low this summer, our team can help. Reach us at 570-648-0748 or contact us online now for additional details.