As the temp rises, so does your energy expenses. To keep your cooling costs low you may be wondering, is it cheaper to leave your AC on all day in the summer in Shamokin and Sunbury?
It’s a common belief that turning your air conditioner on and off throughout the day is a waste of energy. This is actually false.
Keeping your air conditioner going all day means you’re not using it very efficiently. We advise setting your thermostat higher when you’re out, and turning it down when you come back. You can accomplish this with a programmable thermostat. Or, a smart thermostat will do the work for you.
It’s considerably more work for your system to keep the same temperature for many hours. It can also result in a lot of strain on your system, since it’s constantly turning on and off.
So, on top of it increasing your utility bills, it could also cause a shorter life expectancy for your AC.
In any case, the greater the difference between your house’s temperature and the outside temperature, the higher your AC expenses will be. So, what can you do to remain cool and keep your energy bills low in the warm weather? Here are our suggestions based on recommendations from the U.S Department of Energy (DOE) and ENERGY STAR®.
Six Methods to Increase Your Air Conditioner’s Energy Efficiency
- Tweak Your Thermostat. The DOE says that you can conserve up to 10% a year on heating and cooling by turning up your thermostat 7-10 degrees during the time you’re out of the house. In the summer, it’s advised to set your thermostat at 78 degrees when you’re home and 88 degrees when you’re away. It’s additionally important to forgo setting your thermostat to a colder setting than normal when you turn on your AC unit. This doesn’t actually cool off your house any quicker, it just causes bigger energy bills. While these temperatures might appear toasty, there are additional methods to keep comfortable without having to constantly run the AC.
- Utilize Fans, Curtains and Blinds. ENERGY STAR says dialing up the thermostat by a mere 2 degrees and using your ceiling fan can lessen AC by up to 14% over the course of the warm months. It’s important to remember that fans cool people, not rooms. So, when you exit the room, turn the fan off to be energy efficient. Additionally, keeping blinds down and curtains shut throughout the day helps keep cool air inside. There are also some window coverings designed to deliver extra insulation and improve energy efficiency.
- Properly Seal All Doors, Windows and Openings. Leaky cracks throughout a residence enable conditioned air to rapidly get out and warm air to get within. This could result in your AC equipment being required to work harder to keep your residence cool and your AC bills to increase. Make sure that any gaps, doors and windows are adequately sealed. Caulking or weather-stripping are quick fixes for leaks or drafts close to windows and doors.
- Arrange Routine Maintenance. Scheduling air conditioner maintenance makes sure your air conditioner is always running at its most efficient. This permits our professionals to find small issues before they result in significant troubles. A maintained air conditioner is generally more efficient and may even live for a longer period of time.
- Upgrade to a Smart Thermostat. One of the easiest methods to guarantee comfort and cost-effectiveness is with a smart thermostat. This thermostat intuitively adjusts the temperature based on your daily schedule. It works along with your smartphone to know when you’re in your home or gone to enhance your energy savings. In fact, ENERGY STAR states that a smart thermostat could possibly save you about $180 annually on energy costs.
- Consider Replacing Your AC Unit. You can expect a properly maintained air conditioner to run for 15-20 years. But if you’re often calling us for air conditioning repair or your energy bills are increasing with no change in thermostat settings, it might be time for a new system. We offer many energy-efficient air conditioners, including ENERGY STAR models that can help you save more on cooling without trading comfort.
Increase Your Residence’s Energy Efficiency with LTS Plumbing & Heating Inc.
No one wants to see their utility bill climb during the summer season. If you’re looking for more ways to keep your energy consumption and bills low this summer, our professionals can help. Get in touch with us at 570-648-0748 or contact us online today for additional details.