While the cold season seems like it’s already been around for way too long, its influence on our heating bill is only beginning. Maintaining low energy costs during the coldest months of the year can be tough, but that doesn’t mean you can’t take steps to help reduce those costs. That’s why we’ve developed a few furnace tips to help keep heating bills from skyrocketing.
To begin reducing your heating bills and enhancing your energy efficiency this winter, consider:
- Keeping your blinds open throughout the warmest hours of the day to allow sunlight in, helping warm your home naturally.
- Sealing cracks and crevices around your home’s windows and doors with caulk or weather stripping.
- Purchasing a programmable thermostat so that you can more easily control the temperature in your home, which will also increase energy efficiency.
- Cleaning or replacing your furnace filter regularly.
- Inspecting your heating vents to make sure they are open and aren’t blocked by any obstructions
- Replacing your old furnace with a newer, more efficient model if your furnace has been around for more than 15 years.
- Putting insulation in your attic to keep warm air from escaping.
- Checking your roof to confirm your shingles are intact, and that no holes or areas need sealing.
Trying to keep your energy bills low and energy efficiency high, is a year-round effort, one that can seem overwhelming at times. However, that doesn’t mean that you can’t take a few small steps to make sure you’re keeping your bills as low as possible. If you have any questions related to the tips above or questions about how you can decrease your heating bills, give us a jingle at 570-648-0748. Our experts are here to help make sure your home is comfortable all year long, even with the crazy Paxinos weather.