You’re in the middle of the most bitter week of winter and you wake up shaking in a pile of blankets in bed. Your first thought is, “Why in the world has my furnace not kicked on?” Of course, you don’t want to leave yourself in a predicament like this where it feels like you’re destined to suffer until morning to set up furnace repair, but there are a couple things you can inspect, as well as a few things you can do, to stay ready and have a plan for a predicament like this.
Before You Experience Problems:
- Furnace service. Frigid nights and furnace repair can’t always be avoided, but having annual furnace service completed can help you have a better chance at averting a chilly predicament.
- Gather supplies. Find some room in a closet, drawer or another handy area for blankets, a space heater, gloves, hats and any number of other accessories to keep you warm while your furnace isn’t working. It could seem bothersome or unnecessary now, but it will be nice when you need it most.
After You Suspect Your Furnace Quit Running:
- Check the circuit breaker. There’s a chance that the breaker to your furnace may have been tripped by a power surge or for another reason. If this is the case, turn the breaker back on and you might be set. If the breaker is turned off and you have flipped it back on but your furnace still isn’t operating, give us a call to schedule an appointment for furnace repair.
- Layer up and get cozy. That list of supplies we recommended above will come in handy here. Layers can help you preserve body heat so you can stay cozy while waiting for your technician. Also, try to find an activity to do to keep your blood pumping, as elevated activity can help keep you comfortable.
- Stay safe. Employing something other than your furnace to heat your home can pose some danger depending on the method you’re going with. It’s important to remember to never use heating methods created for outdoor use – i.e. kerosene heaters, grills, or any other carbon monoxide producing methods. If you need to use a secondary method, electric space heaters, fireplaces or wood stoves are your safest options.
No one wants to have an encounter with furnace repair in the middle of winter after their furnace has quit running, but the possibility is real if you don’t take the correct steps. Give the pros at LTS Plumbing & Heating Inc. a call at 570-648-0748 if you have any questions about these tips, the furnace repair services offered or any other number of heating questions.